Great news! Year-round sales of E15 have finally been approved! That means that drivers across the U.S. now have the choice to fuel up with a cleaner, more affordable fuel option at the pump all year long.
Since our organization was founded in 2008, Growth Energy has led the charge in getting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to lift an outdated restriction that prevented E15 from being sold in the summer months. On May 31st – and after over a decade of hard work by Growth Energy, our members, congressional champions, and folks across the nation – this landmark victory was achieved.
To celebrate this momentous occasion, we’re looking back at major milestones in our fight to secure year-round sales of E15:
- Growth Energy applied to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the “Green Jobs Waiver” to allow up to 15% ethanol blends in gasoline in March 2009. Growth Energy and the Department of Energy submitted data from 86 vehicles, and over 6 million miles traveled, making E15 the most tested fuel in history. The waiver showed it could create 130,000 “green-collar” jobs, reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- EPA partially grants Growth Energy’s request to allow E15 blends.
- Growth Energy launches an ad campaign for “America’s Fuel” on national cable news networks.
- EPA fully grants Growth Energy’s proposal to allow E15 blends for light duty vehicles (excluding motorcycles and boats) starting in model year 2001 or later; thus launching the wider adoption of E15 worldwide.
- Sale of E15 blends begins at a retail gas station in Kansas.
- Prime the Pump (PTP) forms and begins work tearing down commercial barriers to higher blends of ethanol fuel and challenging the status quo by bringing E15 to new markets.
- Protec, Minnoco, and Cenex are among the first retailers to offer E15 blends.
- House and Senate legislation is introduced to provide year-round E15 blends, beginning the long legislative fight to tear down antiquated Reid Vapor Restrictions (RVP) from the 1970’s. Both did not advance, but continued to be introduced in each Congress since.
- Sheetz, Kum & Go, Murphy USA, Thorntons, and RaceTrac begin selling E15 at select sites.
- American drivers log 1 billion miles driven on E15, marking the first major milestone demonstrating the growing popularity of E15 fuel.
- More than 1,000 Fuel Stations offer E15.
- Family Express, QT, Kwik Trip, and Rutters begin E15 sales at select sites.
- More House and Senate legislation introduced to provide year-round E15 blends. Although they did not advance into law, Growth Energy pushed for and secured a hearing on the legislation where Mike Lorenz from Sheetz testified.
- American drivers log 4 billion miles driven on E15.
- More than 1,400 stations sell E15.
- Casey’s General Store begins selling E15 at select sites.
- Growth Energy launches the E15 Now Bus Tour to demonstrate the importance of year-round E15 for our rural communities to President Trump.
- In October, President trump announces his support for the year-round sale of E15 blends after repeated visits to the White House from Growth Energy, our industry allies, and congressional champions.
- Growth Energy drives over 16,000 comments to EPA in support of finalizing a year-round E15 rule.
- More than 9 billion miles logged on E15.
- More than 1,800 stations sell E15 in 31 states.
- Cumberland Farms announces they will sell E15 at select sites, moving E15 to the Northeast.
- Growth Energy CEO Emily Skor testifies before EPA in Ypsilanti, MI on the critical need of E15 sales year-round for rural America and the importance of getting the rule finalized on time by June 1st.
May 31st, 2019
- The rule to allow E15 year-round is finalized by EPA.